Sunday, December 8, 2013

Driving along the Fingerlakes Beer Trail

One of my favorite things about living in Rochester, is how close we are to the Fingerlakes. Known mostly for their wines, the Fingerlakes is the second largest wine producing region in the country, the beer scene around these lakes is really heating up.

Yesterday, the Mrs. and I decided to head down to pick up some wines, so naturally I needed to find myself some beers. Our trip yesterday included a stop at a recently opened favorite of mine, a few samples at a grand opening of another brewery, and even a pint of FLX beer when we stopped for lunch/

Stop #1, Penn Yan, NY at Abandon Brewing Company


Abandon just celebrated their grand opening a few weeks ago, but this was already my 4th visit. I ordered a flight of samples, and a half-pint of the home-made root-beer for the Mrs. and got to tasting. I got two new brews from Abandon: A Walnut Brown Ale and their Black Friday Ale. I also tried Loopy by 3HB, a Rochester brewery, that they were serving on their guest tap. My 4th sample was their Saison which I'd had before but has a terrific taste, even on a cold winter day.

Our next stop was for lunch, so we headed up to Canandaigua, and stopped in at Rio Tomatlan for some lunch. The mexican food there was fantastic and so was my beer. I had a Wet Hopped Stout by Climbing Bines which is another brewery in Penn Yan. I've not gotten a chance to stop by and visit them, but if this first beer I had was any indication, they are onto something pretty good. The hops flavor vs. the roast characters in the stout were interesting and perfect with my spicy lunch.


After lunch we headed to our final stop, a new brewery that was having their grand openeing just up the street. A short walk to burn off my chips and salsa and we got to..

Stop #2 Canandaigua, NY at Twisted Rail Brewing

This small brewery, attached to an existing brew-pub had a full bar when we got there. Five beers on tap for the opening, I ordered a flight and tried 4 of their creations. Toasted Ale, Farmhouse Ale, Oatmeal Stout, and an IPA were the flavors of the day. I was very impressed with the Farmhouse Ale. A simple belgian inspired ale that would be great to have a few pints of after a long day. 

After a long day of driving and trying new beers it was time to head back home. Keep up the good work Abandon, and good luck and best wishes to Twisted Rail. Can't wait to start seeing you guys around town!

Cheers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment