Monday, January 6, 2014

A Stout for Cold Seasons

Today as I was driving to the grocery store in the quickly plummeting temperatures (wind chills are supposed to hit -35f by tomorrow) I decided that the beers I'd be focusing on for the rest of January were going to be something that could warm me up and keep me happy as we grind through winter. That beer is the Russian Imperial Stout.


According to the BJCP (Beer Judging Certification Program) Style Guidelines, this beer was originally brewed to a high gravity to make the trip from England to the Baltic States and Russia.

One of the things I really love about the Russian Imperial Stout is the complex flavors that are produced by a good example of the beer. Chocolates, Coffee, and rich fruits come together in a heavy mouthfeel that is never too sweet and very drinkable.

I'm definitely not planning on having one of these every day, heck they clock in at 8-10%ABV, but when the winds are howling and the snow is blowing, you'll probably find me kicked back, sipping away at one of these delicious treats.

Check in with me on Untappd to see what I'm  drinking, and stop back here. I'll be sharing a few notes and more pictures of these beers and any others that are doing the job this winter!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment